What I Had For Lunch Today

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Turkey at the Atrium


Today, for lunch I had a Hot Turkey Sandwich at the Atrium (525 W. Monroe St).

The turkey special at the Atrium is one of my favorites. On days that they have it, they also offer it in a non-sandwich form. The last time I ordered it in non-sandwich, I immediately experienced buyer's remorse when I saw how good the open-faced sandwich form looked. I was sure to not make this mistake a second time.

Since it was ass-cold in Chicago today, I knew that I needed to get a cup of soup. Rako favors the Cream of Chicken, but I made the bold choice of the beef vegetable barley. There was certainly a lot of barley in it, but about two specks of beef. The broth was very heavy on the tomato, which I did NOT enjoy.

Rako and I used to eat at the Atrium all the time (when it was called the "West Egg"), because it is right accross the street from where we worked at the time. One thing we noticed was a very prevelent flavor in the vast majority of their dishes. We never have been able to identify what this flavor is - mostly because to refer to our palates as "unrefined" would be quite an understatement. We like to say that this flavor is "nutmeg", but that has more to do with our lack of understanding of nutmeg than anything else.

The mashed potatoes at the Atrium taste a lot like nutmeg.

If you are ever dining at the Atrium, you should really try the fruit cup. It's the largest fruit cup you can get in the city - or at least at any of the places we usually go for lunch.

Rako was pleased to note that the two hot twin waitresses are now wearing different colored uniforms. This is really helpful - makes it much easier to tell them apart.

3 Comments:

  • Holy crap, that sandwich looks AMAZING - even if, as Rako said, it's not actually that color.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/17/2005 3:14 PM  

  • Instead of pictures of gravied turkey and large cups of fruit, why not post some pictures of hot twin waitresses?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/17/2005 3:23 PM  

  • Matty, I fear that turkey sandwich--one, there's a dead bird on it and two, there's a gravy made from dead bird on it...........now, it was just mashed potatoes and bread, we'd be in business.
    second--I hate fruit cup.....why? because it usually consists of lots of melon, which I hate, and then everything that's non melon in it tastes like melon! yuckers!

    By Blogger Chelsea, at 11/18/2005 9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home